Login |  Register |  help
Aggies Sports

"Here We Go Again!"

Posted Tuesday, September 29, 2009 by Phots by R. Pasque
For the second consecutive week, the OPSU Aggies were forced into overtime, but this one came out more to the team's liking.  After battling to a 28-28 tie in regulation, the Aggies had to stand tall during three overtime periods to take a hard-earned road victory over the Southwest Assemblies of God University Lions in a road game in Waxahachie, Texas.  Aggie tailback Darryl Brister who accounted for 256 all purpose yards on the day proved to be the hero in the thirrd overtime period, lugging the pigskin 25 yards on the Aggies firs play from scrimmage to tie the game at 48-48, then Brister capped his exceptional day by plunging in from the three to give the Aggies the two point conversion and a 50-48 win.

"SAGU just kept fighting back.  We thougth we had them on the ropes and they would come right back and hit  a big play.  We're just glad to get out of town with the win." stated Aggie head football coach Mike Wyatt.

After having been carried through several games over the past two seasons by the Aggie defense, it was the Aggie offense that stole the show in Waxahachie.  The group used 39:08 minutes in time of possession while recording 36 first downs and 486 total yards of offense to claim the victory. The offfense was pretty evenly distributed between run and pas with 219 rushing yards for the Aggies and 232 passes on 52 rushes and 41 passes, respectively.

Darryl Brister accounted for 4 TDs and a 2 point conversion while Zachaeus McCaskill added a rushing TD, as well.  Wide Receiver Doug Williams  who had 8 catches for 99 yards hauled in 2 TD passes.

Defensively, the Aggies played well at times, but also had some key coverage breakdowns that turned into points for the SAGU Lions.

"We just had some mental breakdowns and busts in coverages.  SAGU was able to take advantage of those and keep themselves in the game." Wyatt added.

The Aggies came into the game reeling from the activities of the previous day's trip to Waxahachie.  The team's original departure was delayed due to mechanical issues with the busses.  One group left about 1 and 1/2 hours late while the other bus trailed behind them by another hour and a half.  The first bus with the starting offense, defense and a few significant back-ups arrived without a hitch.  Bus number two was not as fortunate.  As the group was entering Decatur, Texas, on US 287, the driver of a pick-up track cut across in front of the bus, essentially cutting the bus off.  The bus driver while laying down his air horn, swerved in an attempt to miss the pickup but did clip the left rear of the truck with the right side front of the bus.

"The pickup just cut across in front of us, leaving no space for us to do anything.  The driver tried to avoid the collison and almost did.  He (the driver) did an excellent job of keeping the bus from rolling over." stated Aggie assistant football coach Don Goodno, a passenger on the bus.

Luckily, none of the Aggie travel party was injured. However, the bus was unable to continue and a new bus arrived in about 45 mintues to finish the trip.

"The great news was that no one was injured.  We are thankful for that and for the efforts of the bus driver in keeping our team safe, given the circumstances.  There is no question that the bus accident and the game took an emotional toll on our team." added Wyatt.

The Aggies are back at home for the next three weeks.  This week the Aggies face the University of the Incarnate Word, a team that narrowly lost to Langston University last week by a 17-14 margin.  Game time is set for 2 PM at Carl Wooten Field in Goodwell.

This page was created in 0.0938 seconds on server 132